Before starting the application process, please contact the International Office at your home institution and inform yourself about the selection criteria, possible partnerships and other things worth knowing concerning a semester abroad.
The next step in the admission process is to decide when you want to come to NBS and which modules you want to choose. Please make sure you meet the selection criteria (especially language proficiency!) for the modules you have chosen.
We have prepared a registration form that you will need to fill out in order to apply to the modules.
Winter Semester: 15 August
Summer Semester: 15 February
- Please send the completed registration form as well as the documents needed to the International Office (via email to international[at]nbs.de or via mail: NBS Northern Business School, International Office, Wandsbeker Marktstraße 103-107, 22041 Hamburg, Germany).
- Your documents will be examined. If something is missing, you will be informed by the International Office. Missing documents can be handed in later.
- As soon as all documents are handed in, your registration will be prepared.
- The International Office will schedule a meeting with you for a first get-to-know at the NBS. You will then receive all necessary documents you need for your studies at NBS.
Please note: Erasmus students need to be nominated by their home institutions prior to their application. Please contact your International Office for more information.
A complete application must include:
- completed and signed registration form (must be signed by applicant as well as coordinator at home institution)
- recent passport photo (for the student card)
- tabular CV (in English or German)
- higher education entrance qualification*
- certificate of enrollment or transcript of records from the home institution (in English or German)
- proof of health insurance (see further information on the application form and here)
- proof of exemption from the statutory German health insurance (this can look like this)**
- proof of language proficiency in German and/or English (see further information on the application form)
- for Erasmus students: learning agreement (section to be completed before coming to Hamburg)
- document upon arrival in Germany: confirmation of Hamburg residence registration or a copy of your Hamburg rental agreement
* If you don't come as an Erasmus student but as a freemover, we need to check your higher education entrance qualification. Please fill out the following form and send it to us with your application.
** The exemption from the statutory German health insurance can also be done online. Please follow this link for more information (in German, English version following). Please note on your application that you agree to receive the document via email.
International exchange students (from Non-European countries) often need a visa for their stay in Germany. This depends on the country of origin and on the length of the stay. Please consider that getting the visa may take quite some time – sometimes several months. After we have received your application, we can send you a letter of admission along with an invitation confirming your status. Only then can you contact the German embassy in your home country to apply for a visa.
For more information about the visa application (e.g. necessary documents), please see the webpage of the DAAD ("Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst" = German Academic Exchange Service). The DAAD additionally offers a lot of useful information for international students that will help you in preparation of and during your semester abroad.